Art Specs for Electronic Files Preferred Programs on Mac
(in order of preference)
- Quark Express 7.0 or lower If you are sending a Quark.eps,
please send the originating file.
If there is a problem, with the eps, it cannot be opened.
- Adobe Photoshop 10.0 (CS3) or lower.
- Adobe Illustrator 13.0 (CS3) or lower.
- Adobe InDesign 5.0 (CS3) or lower.
- Macromedia Freehand If you are sending a Freehand file, please send as an
eps with all fonts converted to outlines.
- Adobe Pagemaker 7.0 or lower. Please provide all the placed files separately along with the Pagemaker file. If there is a problem with a placed image,it cannot be accessed through Pagemaker.
IBM Programs (if Mac is not available - in order of preference)
- Quark Express.
- Adobe Photoshop.
- Adobe Illustrator.
- Macromedia Freehand
- Corel Draw. If you are sending a Corel Draw file, please send as an eps with all fonts converted to outlines.
We CANNOT accept Microsoft Word, Excel or Powerpoint
Placed Element Formats
Please save all elements in your files in these formats:
- EPS (Mac or PC) - Use for vector art
- Tiff (Mac or PC) -Use for CMYK and Halftone Only
Files saved in any other format can cause problems. Text should be sent as fonts or outlines,
NEVER as bitmap or grayscale. Bitmap/Grayscale text WILL PRINT BLURRY. DO NOT
send RGB images. If we must change to CMYK, your image may change to an undesirable color intensity.
Placed Element Specs
- CMYK & Halftone images should be scanned at 300 res (calculate for final size) for output at 150 lines
- Line art should be scanned at 1200 res (calculate for final size)
- Text should be sent as fonts or outlines, NEVER as bitmap or grayscale.
Bitmap/Grayscale text WILL PRINT BLURRY.
Font problems are common because of the large variety of font manufacturers. Please include all fonts and screen fonts used in your document to ensure that your job prints to your specifications (even the most common fonts).
We use .4 pt for trapping in QuarkXpress. In Adobe Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand we set the trapping between 1 pt and 1.5 pt depending on the image. We can adjust or set the trapping for you.
Client Checklist (Very Important)
Please make sure that your art colors are specified as you would like them to print. A PMS color should
not be separated as process.
- Are all of the files, support files and embedded files to be output on the disk?
- Did you make a backup of all of your files?
- Did you label all disks?
- Did you include a laser copy proof of all files?
- Did you include your screen and printer fonts?
- Did you indicate on your Print/Proof FPO?
- Did you link all graphic files and are they indicated on your print/proof?
- Did you indicate color elements Pantone or CMYK values?